Human Rights, simply put, are defined as the rights as well as freedoms to which all humans are entitled. This is how the Houghton Mifflin Company defined this concept. This concept resulted to The Universal Declaration of Human Rights as declared by the United Nations on December 10, 1948.
Forty-one years after this declaration, in 1989, globalization came in. This was the time when the Berlin Wall was removed. It is noted as the major development in society as stressed by Peter Schwab and Adamantia Polis in their book “Human Rights: New Perspectives, New Realities“.
Human Rights and Globalization – The Relationship
Putting these two concepts together, one may always wonder about the real impact of globalization on human rights. In fact, the topic on human rights and globalization spurred a lot of questions, doubts and arguments. One question was posted by Dr. Samir Naim-Ahmed. In his paper, he asked this: “Would globalization have an effect on human rights practices as covered in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as well as the other UN agreements pertaining to: civil and political rights; economic, social and cultural rights; and the declaration on the right of development?”
There are many experts who have analyzed such question and they have provided different answers.
1. Dr. Samair Naim Ahmed himself, in his paper, pointed out that globalization is intended to have a free flow of goods, people and capital from one part of the world to another. With this said, people will be able to practice human rights as part of UN’s declaration. In fact, he said that globalization is bringing prosperity in each part of the globe.
In dispute to this good point, Ahmed noted a negative impact of globalization as well. Come to think of the fact that powerful transnational corporations are given the chance to market their goods and services worldwide. In this regard, human rights practice may be violated.
2. In an article entitled Business and Human Rights, the author reiterated that globalization indeed change the world we are currently living in. Part of that change is the new and complex challenges for human rights protection.
3. Ming Tsang Chai of the National Taipei University Department of Sociology also analyzed the relationship between these two concepts in a paper entitled “Does Globalization Affect Human Well Being?” In his paper, the professor found out that political globalization provides positive impacts but social and economic globalization is more unfavorable than favorable for some aspects.
Other Resources on the Impact of Globalization on Human Rights
1. The Social Impact of Globalization in the Developing Countries written in 2006 by Eddy Lee and Marco Vivarelli
2. Criticism of Globalization: Positive and Negative Aspects by Prof. Abadelhadi Boutaleb written for the Journal Islam Today
3. Globalization and Health, the Right Prescription? as published in The International Development Research Centre Science of Humanity
4. Engaging in Globalization: Implications for Gender Relations written for the United Nations Division for the Advancement of Women during the year 1999
5. Globalization, a Mixed Blessing for Human Rights, Experts Say published in the United Nations University 6.
This Article is written by John C Arkin, contributor of PrintCountry Articles.
This Article is written by John C Arkin.
PrintCountry offers a wide range of replacement cartridges, generic printer supplies, remanufactured and recycled printer inkjet cartridges for various brands like HP.com , Dell.com, Epson.com, BrotherUSA.com, Lexmark.com, Samsung.com, Canon.com and other brands less known than HP, Epson, Brother, Dell like Pitney Bowes, Minolta, Mita, Kodak printers. All brand names mentioned on this page are used for demonstrative purposes only. PrintCountry is not associated, affiliated or connected with. At PrintCountry.com besides offering deep discounted warehouse prices and online shopping offers and promotions for compatible toner cartridges, replacement printer ink cartridges, you can also find printer reviews about the most popular, best rated, newest printers, coupons and promos for other printing equipment manufacturers, do it yourself guides from friendly kid projects using your printer to great gift ideas using things like photo paper and your printers features. Whether you would like to buy your printer supplies online at discount prices, or save a bunch on cheap ink cartridges without sacrificing from quality prints, we hope you will find our website a good resource & guide to your print supply shopping needs.